Friday, November 19, 2010

Life Lesson 1: Trust your gut instinct

I never got a reply to the message I sent that friend who deleted me from Facebook.  My other friend who was also deleted without cause or comment sent him a message on Facebook and a text message.  She received a reply to neither message.  It was only when she spoke to him on MSN that she found out the reason with a click of a couple of buttons we were removed from his life.

We lost touch.  That was his reason.  So, instead of, upon making that realisation, picking up the phone to call or send a text, instead of posting on my Facebook wall or sending a message on Facebook or by email, he simply hit the delete button.  Must have been too much effort for the poor poppet.  Or maybe he didn't care enough to bother.  Personally, my bet is on both options.

Of course we lost touch - I was no longer living literally down the street from them anymore!

In this day and age, it's actually pretty easy to keep in touch with people with so much technology at our fingertips.  That is, if we care enough to.  There's really no excuses for it being too hard to keep in touch.  It takes little time and energy to send a quick message via a number of modern day technologies if one doesn't have time for a phone call.

Now, I'm the first to admit that when it comes to keeping in touch, I'm no angel.  I freely admit that I'm shit at keeping in touch with others.  But I'm also not the kind of friend who wants to live in your pocket.  No, you might not hear from me for a few weeks and in a couple of cases a couple of months, but be rest assured that I will think of you and at some point, I will take those few seconds to send you a message, or take the time to give you a call.  But that depends on what effort I see you making for me.

I know that Miss B has been crazy busy with her uni work so we haven't chatted as much as we'd like to but I know that when she has the time, she makes the effort for a phone call or text messages.  Similarly Miss L has been busy too but she makes the time when she can for a phone call or a Skype chat.  Miss K is a single mum to 2 kids but still makes the time when she has the time.  Even Mr M who has his own issues to deal with in his life manages to keep in touch by text message and the occassional online chat or phone call.

It just proves what I had already suspected.  At least I know once again that my instincts were right.  That's OK though.  It gives me more space in my life for those who make the effort.

Those are the real friends, worthy of my time, energy and effort.  To those friends (even those who aren't mentioned in this blog) a big thank you.  The fact you are dedicating your time, energy and effort to read my blog means you are a good friend too.

xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment