Friday, June 18, 2010

Sydney - a whole month's reflection

Wow how my first month in Sydney has just flown. It spins me out when I think just how dramatically my life has changed in just a short space of time, and for the better I might add.

A month into my job, and I've got my own workload that I'm allowed to manage on my own which I prefer - I hate having to rely on others to provide me with work.  They seem really happy with me there but of course there's gotta be work there for me to do post 31 July or I won't have a job there no matter how much they like me and want to keep me.  I'll have a chat toward the end of this month to see whether its likely they'll extend me or not.  I'll keep in touch with my temping agency to ensure that hopefully there'll be no gaps in employment.  I guess I kind of thought that once I got through all of the immediate risks when I arrived (ie finding a job ASAP and finding a place to live) that would be the end of the risks.  What I didn't factor in was that I'll have to keep managing the risk of temping as best as I can.  One of the temps at work had a gap of six weeks before this job, and the other had a gap of a week so of course the thought that I could be out of work for 6 weeks without an income bothers me quite significantly.  Sure I could probably afford a week but after that I'd be royally screwed.  I'm going to start looking for permanent work to at least give me some job security on that front.  I can always resign if and when we (meaning the Sydney Boy and I) go back to Queensland.

Which, I guess, brings me to the most important and exciting part of my story... my Sydney Boy.  He really is such a joy and brings such happiness to my life, more than I had thought possible.  And... I have a confession to make...

We moved in together.  Come on, as if you DIDN'T see that coming...

We found a cute little studio apartment which is in a suburb that seemed to be a great compromise for us both: its close to a major transport hub for me to get to and from work, and its also close enough for him to travel to and from his work too.  We're a block away from the shopping centre and train station so its really convenient for me without a car down here (and no intention of driving down here, despite my Sydney Boy's insistence!).  I really do love it here.  Of course its not a castle, but I hope that with a few touches I have made it our own.  We've been here two weeks now and I still have a few things left to do to 'make it ours' but we've now got photos on the fridge, flowers by the bed, and even a colour theme (black, red and purple).  Its starting to really feel like home, at least to me, and I hope to my Sydney Boy too.

I love the rituals and routines that have started to form... I love waking up beside my Sydney Boy every morning, I like the feeling of the newness of waking up together, I love having my morning coffee and my breakky on these crisp mornings (although I suspect I'll begin to like it less so as winter approaches), I love the kiss goodbye before I go to work, and of course I love the compliments when I look particularly good in the morning before I go to work.  I love getting home to discover that the washing up has been done and the clothes have been washed.  On the nights when my Sydney Boy has had the day off, I love walking in the door to a warm apartment because my Sydney Boy has put the heating on for me, and smelling a delicious dinner cooked by him waiting just for me.  And on the nights that I get home before my Sydney Boy, I like cooking dinner for him, and I love the fact that he's eaten things for me that he wouldnt ordinarily have eaten... and enjoyed it.  Its so much better to cook for someone else than to cook for myself thats for sure.  I love that when he gets home from working nightshift in the wee hours of the morning, that he wearily gets in, takes his work clothes off and snuggles up to me in bed, where I'm all warm. 

But, most of all, I enjoy our night time ritual or routine that seems to have come about for no other reason than our shower is a bit tempermental.  When I say tempermental, I mean it seems to remember only two temperatures: scalding hot or ice ice cold.  If you're lucky sometimes you can get it to stay on the cold side of lukewarm for long enough to sud yourself off, but quite often it'll turn scalding hot or ice ice cold without any warning.  So, we started taking a bath... together.  Its so completely relaxing at the end of the day to just get in the tub, and lie back with my head on my Sydney Boy's chest and chat about our day, or whatever else we want to talk about.  Sometimes I even get some kisses on my forehead - what girl doesnt enjoy those?!?!

We've been pretty busy these past couple of weeks setting up house together, and I've had exams which hasn't helped.  My Sydney Boy's work schedule has been a bit topsy turvey this week too, so I other than the couple of hours I got with my Sydney Boy last night, I haven't really seen him properly since Monday, and unfortunately won't get much of a chance to do so now until next Monday night. 

Although I do enjoy the time to myself here just pottering about, reading my book, watching tv, etc, after an hour or two, I begin to miss my Sydney Boy as I realise how empty this apartment is without him.  I have no idea how I lived in a three bedroom house before on my own when now our tiny studio apartment feels so empty on nights like these!

Life is just... wonderful and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment